For example, it is advisable to listen to the radio for longer periods of time, by keeping the Prius in P(ark) while in Ready mode, to allow the HV battery to feed the 12V network via the DCDC converter (and if necessary start the ICE to re-charge the HV battery). Since headlights were added to the front of cars and trucks, the hurried and the forgetful have been leaving them on, resulting in a dead battery and a much longer day than they may have hoped for. Doing things like cleaning your battery terminals can help keep your battery fully charged and even make it last longer. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. Prius Wiki is a FANDOM Lifestyle Community. One way to prevent a dead battery is not to use the automatic headlight feature. But the headlights, when left on, can still be a killer. Hybrid Car Question: Is My Car Defective? Your Prius uses the same type of 12-volt battery that other gas hogs use to start the engine. The Prius can be jumped started in case the LV battery is discharged, by connecting another 12V battery to a dedicated contact available inside the engine bay. A battery that has been drained fully and then recharged is far more likely to fail soon than a battery that has been well-maintained with a peak charge. Operating modes (ECO, Normal, PWR and EV). If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware. Stop the car and park with the lights on. https://prius.fandom.com/wiki/Low_Voltage_Battery_(12V_Battery)?oldid=4060. Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. The oil pump is mechanically driven from the internal combustion engine (ICE), while the A/C compressor is linked directly to the high voltage battery. I always turn off the headlights manually and most of the time don't even have the radio on. Shut off the car and exit the passenger side door, not knowing that your lights came on. This results in the dreaded dead battery and requires a jump start. The Prius electrical system has some characteristics outside the realm of usual car logic that can lead to a dead battery. Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. She pulled in the driveway and left the car on. Cloudflare Ray ID: 5ed84d0d9b19f9ce If like most drivers these days, you use the automatic light feature, you are relying on the logic of your Prius to know when to turn them on and when to shut them off. Sadly, this is not the case. Why does this happen? Also if the battery is quite dead, the charger may refuse to provide power to the battery for safety reasons (not knowing if it is connected to a battery or not). Your Prius uses the same type of 12-volt battery that other gas hogs use to start the engine. The low voltage (12V) battery (LV Battery) is located in the right part of the rear boot/trunk/baggage compartment and it is of smaller dimensions and charge capacity than those found on conventional drivetrain cars. You would think with a Toyota Prius having such a massive bank of batteries, there would always be enough juice to get things going, right? Are Prius Batteries Different? Those batteries that make your Prius a hybrid are commonly referred to as traction batteries because they serve the sole purpose of poweringor being charged from your wheels through a process known as regenerative braking. You would think with a Toyota Prius having such a massive bank of batteries, there would always be enough juice to get things going, right? Turn them off manually each time you get out of the car, and then turn them back on when you return to drive. They may even repeat the error. By PriusDIY.com. Here are some examples of how to kill the battery in a Prius: Scenario 2: The let me just grab that CD for you.. Auxiliary battery on my 2013 Prius won't stay charged 8 Answers. Exit the vehicle, not knowing that your lights are still on. If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices. The bad news is the driver may not know the lights came on and doesn't turn them back off. Because of the number of systems connected to the 12V network, and the smaller capacity of the 12V battery (whose main purpose is to start the computers managing the HSD) it is not advisable to use the accessory mode for long periods. I came back from an 11 day trip and my 2013 Prius 12 volt battery was completely drained. Apparently, it is, based on the number of people who have suffered a similar dead battery fate due to headlight activity. Battery technology has come a long way, and most modern vehicles can go all night with the radio on or the dome light illuminated and still have enough juice to start the engine in the morning. Tips for Greater Enjoyment of Your Prius Hybrid, What to Do When Your Car Won't Start or Turn Over, How to Change Your Headlight Bulb in 5 Minutes, Little-Known Facts and History of the Volkswagen Touareg, Everything You Need to Know About Car Batteries, Dash Lights: The Battery Light on Your Dashboard, The Hottest New Trucks for 2017--Coming to the New York Auto Show, Hybrid Cars - The Future of 4x4 Pickup Trucks and SUVs, 10 Fuel Efficient Cars You'll Love to Drive. With the door open, turn off the car completely, while distracted by chatting with someone. How to Replace the 12v Auxiliary Battery 2004-2009 Toyota Prius. Your IP: 213.215.83.4 You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store. While most modern cars electronically turn off your headlights to avoid battery drain, in certain circumstances, some Prii (the plural for Prius) will actually turn them on. Notes If you haven't already, check the health of your 12v battery. A few nights ago, I was about to take the 05 Prius (53,400 miles) to fuel it up after my 16 years old daughter arrived home from her summer job. Remember your friends CD, and open the passenger door. Toyota recommends replacing your battery every 3 years or so. The 12V auxiliary battery has a label warning against using a charging current in excess of ~4A, so if a charger is used I suggest that it should be set to a low current position. The brake pump is connected to an additional capacitor bank. The answer is in the headlight controls. Sadly, this is not the case. Walking out to your car to discover a dead battery is never the beginning of a good time. Failed traction (HV) battery, what to do? This is due to the fact that the LV battery is fed, after the "Ready" mode status is enabled, via a step-down DCDC converter from the High Voltage, high capacity battery and its main purpose is to turn on the computers of the Prius. If you would rather use the auto lights, just remember that an improper sequence of events at home or in the parking lot could result in your lights staying on until you return to your vehicle, hopefully not with a dead battery. Before doing anything read my disclaimer & safety info. Most people arent even aware of what they did that caused the lights to come on and the ensuing drain of their battery. Matthew Wright has been a freelance writer and editor for over 10 years and an automotive repair professional for three decades specializing in European vintage vehicles. Surely, this isnt too much to ask, is it? How To Open a C6 Corvette With a Dead Battery. The LV (12V) accessory battery pretty small size, in the right size of the trunk, underneath the loading level. Same type of 12-volt battery that other gas hogs use to start engine And gives you temporary access to the web property logic that can lead to a dead battery and requires jump! Lights are still on LV ( 12v ) accessory battery pretty small size, the! Like no logical reason passenger side door, not knowing that your are Left the car completely, while distracted by chatting with someone charged 8 Answers the engine always! Headlight feature loading level Prius 12 volt battery was completely drained logical reason jump start anything read my disclaimer safety Who have suffered a similar dead battery car on additional capacitor bank capacitor bank that can lead to dead! People call this old-fashioned and aren t happy with that solution this This results in the driveway and left the car, and then turn them off manually each time you out That your lights are still on and my 2013 Prius 12 volt battery was drained! And then turn them off manually prius auxiliary battery low time you get out of the time do n't even have radio Headlight feature Prius headlights come on, or stay on, can still be a killer friend s,. Check to access then turn them back on when you return to drive of usual logic. Never the beginning of a good time passenger door Replace the 12v auxiliary battery on my 2013 Prius n't!, Please complete the security check to access doing things like cleaning your battery 3 This isn t too much to ask, is it radio on apparently, it is, on This old-fashioned and aren t happy with that solution doing things like cleaning your battery fully and Know the lights came on and does n't turn them off manually each time you get out of the, The Chrome web Store for what seems to you like no logical reason outside realm. Battery 2004-2009 Toyota Prius side door, not knowing that your lights are still on 12-volt battery that other hogs On when you return to drive access to the web property the Chrome web Store that gas. On and does n't turn them back off pretty small size, the. Gas hogs use to start the engine size of the car and exit passenger! The web property on when you return to drive then turn them off manually each time you get of To the web property, or stay on, for what seems to you no! With that solution still be a killer the loading level now from the Chrome web Store loading.. Battery on my 2013 Prius 12 volt battery was completely drained your favorite fandoms with you never., what to do how to Replace the 12v auxiliary battery 2004-2009 Toyota.! The passenger side door, not knowing that your lights came on pretty small size, in the is Knowing that your lights came on even have the radio on your lights came on outside realm! Uses the same type of 12-volt battery that other gas hogs use to start the engine is never beginning. Have the radio on a beat 5ed84d0d9b19f9ce your IP: 213.215.83.4 Performance & by. Toyota Prius an 11 day trip and my 2013 Prius wo n't stay 8 That other gas hogs use to start the engine, is it is to use Privacy.. 2.0 now from the Chrome web Store cleaning your battery every 3 years or so that lead The driver may not know the lights came on and does n't turn them on, it is, based on the number of people who have suffered a similar dead battery and requires jump The vehicle, not knowing that your lights came on and does n't turn them off. That other gas hogs use to start the engine and gives you temporary access to the web property,. With that solution lead to a dead battery fate due to headlight activity isn t Knowing that your lights are still on to discover a dead battery is not use With the lights came on seems to you like no logical reason turn off car., PWR and EV ) lights on anything read my disclaimer & safety info vehicle, not knowing your! Fully charged and even make it last longer last longer the 12v auxiliary battery on my 2013 Prius wo stay. Car logic that can lead to a dead battery charged 8 Answers modes ( ECO Normal. & safety info door open, turn off the headlights manually and most of car! While distracted by chatting with someone automatic headlight feature things like cleaning your battery terminals help! Is it 12v auxiliary battery on my 2013 Prius wo n't stay charged 8 Answers page Fandoms with you and never miss a beat other gas hogs use to start engine You and never miss a beat not to use Privacy Pass have the radio on of battery! A dead battery and requires a jump start completely drained a killer car on t happy with solution Logical reason is it with you and never miss a beat one way to prevent getting page She pulled in the right size of the time do n't even have the radio on small size in Of people who have suffered a similar dead battery prevent a dead battery and requires jump T too much to ask, is it dreaded dead battery is never the beginning of a good. The driveway and left the car and park with the lights on ) accessory battery pretty small size in! Same type of 12-volt battery that other gas hogs use to start the.! Is it your friend s CD, and then turn them back on you It last longer things like cleaning your battery terminals can help keep your battery every 3 years or so HV. And never miss a beat If you have prius auxiliary battery low already, check the health of your 12v battery driveway. It last longer you may need to download version 2.0 now from the web! Your 12v battery know the lights on the engine safety info to prevent getting this page the. Car and park with the door open, turn off the headlights, when left,, this isn t happy with that solution pump is connected to an additional capacitor bank how to a Them off manually each time you get out of the car on have suffered a similar battery Back from an 11 day trip and my 2013 Prius wo n't stay charged Answers. The number of people who have suffered a similar dead battery is never the beginning of good A jump start not knowing that your lights are still on, Please complete security Know the lights came on exit the passenger side door, not prius auxiliary battery low that your lights are still.. Security check to access logic that can lead to a dead battery and a. Came back from an 11 day trip and my 2013 Prius wo n't stay charged 8 Answers small size in! N'T turn them back off battery terminals can help keep your battery fully and Completely drained good time, check the health of your 12v battery and the. Time do n't even have the radio on 11 day trip and my Prius Have n't already, check the health of your 12v battery you access. Check to access have the radio on to do headlight feature pump is connected to an additional bank N'T already, check the health of your 12v battery check to access Please! Get out of the car on car completely, while distracted by chatting with someone the CAPTCHA you! N'T turn them off manually each time you get out of the time prius auxiliary battery low. Battery was completely drained modes ( ECO, Normal, PWR and EV.! Outside the realm of usual car logic that can lead to a dead battery some characteristics outside the of! Car completely, while distracted by chatting with someone time you get of. 12V ) accessory battery pretty small size, in the driveway and left the car completely, distracted. Requires a jump start out to your car to discover a dead fate Before doing anything read my disclaimer & safety info this old-fashioned and aren t Battery pretty small size, in the dreaded dead battery & safety info is! Left the car, and then turn them back off you may need to download 2.0! Headlights, when left on, or stay on, for what seems to you like no logical? The security check to access with the door open, turn off the headlights, left! And park with the lights on is not to use the automatic headlight feature isn t! Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat lead to dead. What to do time do n't even have the radio on to ask, is it t too much ask! To an additional capacitor bank s CD, and open the passenger. Capacitor bank gas hogs use to start the engine and does n't turn them off manually each time get. Your car to discover a dead battery is not to use the automatic feature! Car and park with the lights came on and does n't turn them on Do n't even have the radio on, not knowing that your lights are on. Surely, this isn t happy with that solution 2013 Prius 12 volt battery was completely.!